On average, a human head weighs about 12 lbs. However, when you look down, that weight significantly increases. Most studies show that just looking down 15 degrees more than doubles the weight of your head. At an angle of 30 degrees, all of a sudden your head can weigh 40 lbs! This obviously puts a lot more strain on your neck (cervical spine), and can lead to some uncomfortable issues; headaches and neck pain just to name a few…
With our handy electronic hand-held devices, most of us (especially kids!) are looking down a large part of the day. When you take the time to look around, you’ll see forward head posture everywhere! This has lead to a phenomenon now called ‘text neck’.
What can you do about it? Here are 5 tips:
- Limit your time spend on your wireless device & take frequent breaks
- Use voice recognition
- Hold your phone up higher
- This way you neck does not have to bend as far down
- Make a phone call instead
- We don’t do this often enough anymore!
- See a chiropractor to promote proper alignment and motion in your back and neck
- As we cannot avoid electronic devices all the time, this will help combat postural changes
E-mail us now, and I will send you 3 key exercises to combat this forward head posture!