As chiropractor, I obtained additional training in Acupuncture. This has proven to be a valuable method that I often incorporate in my treatments – in my opinion, adjustments of the spine for proper alignment and acupuncture for pain relief and muscle tension release go hand in hand. Acupuncture can help relieve back pain and other symptoms by:
- Stimulating nerves.
- Nerves control muscle movement and send pain signals. Stimulating nerves will help ‘reset’ them to a more normal and pain-free state.
- Releasing muscle tissue.
- Acupuncture can be used to release trigger points. Trigger points are tight ‘balls’ that can develop in your muscle and cause either local pain or referred pain elsewhere.
- Stimulating reflex pathways.
- Scientific research and centuries of experience have shown certain points reflexively help relieve symptoms (like pain).
- Releasing pain-relieving chemicals
- By hooking acupuncture needles up to a pulsing current, the body produces its own pain-relieving chemicals.
- Some of these chemicals are endorphins – the same ones that are released when you exercise to make you feel good
- It’s like tapping into an internal pharmacy!
Generally, acupuncture should be comfortable, although sometimes minor discomfort can be experience.d Are you interested in trying out acupuncture? Feel free to contact us for a free consultation!